September 12, 2012 ·0 Comments
UN World Food Programme – Somalia
VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT NO. VA 045/2012
Post Title: National Programme Officer Post Grade: NOB
Duty Station: Hargeisa Date of issue: 10.09.2012
Contract type: Fixed Term Closing Date: 23.09.2012
Position No. 22057875
The World Food Programme Somalia activities include food assistance for nutrition, livelihoods, relief and emergency school feeding, while also supporting humanitarian air and logistics services, food security coordination and infrastructure rehabilitation projects.
This position is open to qualified Somali candidates with good knowledge of the local area. Female candidates in particular, are encouraged to apply.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the direct supervision of Head of Area Office, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:-
• Responsible for overall programme management which includes implementation and monitoring of programmes and activities in the region;
• Develop and sustain liaison with key professionals and NGOs engaged in the field of food security;
• Oversee preparation and dissemination of timely analytical and critical reports including proposals for improvements in operation and the scope of programmes;
• Assess the need for food in emergency and refugee/displaced person situations, draw up plans for its timely arrival in coordination with government and other donors, and monitor the implementation of these plans;
• Assist the government in identifying fields of development where food aid can be usefully employed and give assistance in planning, formulating, and targeting recipients for new requests for WFP aid;
• Liaise with project implementing authorities and undertake visits to view project outputs and beneficiaries, inspect storage places and points where WFP commodities are received in the country, in order to ensure that progress is made in the achievement of project objectives;
• Design and maintain databases of indicators relating to food security and WFP projects;
• Provide continuing liaison with bilateral food aid programmes, with UN agencies and with NGOs providing technical or other forms of assistance to WFP assisted projects.
• Advise the government on the handling, transport, storage and distribution of the commodities supplied by WFP;
• Assist the government on the maintenance of all records, accounts and books as stipulated in the Field Level Agreements and ensure that reports required for WFP are accurate and provided as scheduled;
• Ensure compliance with WFP’s policies, criteria and procedures with respect to food aid;
• Support the identification/selection and enhancement of Cooperating Partner capacity for WFP operations;
• Raise awareness on gender issues and food security and ensure gender dimension is integrated in all food aid assisted activities;
• Assist Head of Area Office in all matters related to the delivery of WFP emergency assistance and bring to the attention of appropriate regional/country staff any administrative constraints arising from rapidly evolving emergency situations in the field;
• Assist Head of Area Office in preparation/update of the early warning, risk analysis and contingency planning in order to respond to humanitarian crises. Periodically monitor the management of risks and report on any actions taken;
• Supervise other programme staff; provide training and technical guidance in their work;
• Perform other related duties as required.
Education: University degree in one or more of the following disciplines: Nutrition, Education, Economics, Agriculture, International Affairs, Business Administration, Social Sciences, Development Studies or a field relevant to international development assistance.
Experience: At least three years of postgraduate professional experience in commerce, business administration, development, or food aid support.
Language: Fluency in both oral and written communication in English and Somali.
Knowledge: Experience utilizing computers, including word processing, spreadsheet or other WFP software packages. General knowledge of UN system policies, rules, regulations and procedures governing administration.
Interested and qualified candidates are requested to submit online applications only according to the following procedures:
• All applications must include an accurately filled in Personal History Form (P11) available at the following link http://www.unon.org/docs/P11.doc to be sent by e-mail to HR-SOM@wfp.org
• Quote the Vacancy Announcement number, job title and location of preference;
• Hand delivered applications will no longer be accepted;
• Applications that do not meet the above requirements will be disregarded;
• Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.Follow @somalilandpress