UNICEF Vacancy Announcement: Communication Officer in Hargeisa
March 11, 2011 ·
The following is a job vancy advertised by UNICEF-Somalia for a communication officer in Hargeisa, Somaliland.
VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT REF: UNSOM/2010/036
Title: Communication Officer
Category and Grade Level: National Officer – NOB
IMIS NOs: 68630
Type of Contract: Fixed Term – 1 Year
Organization Unit: Programme
Duty Station: UNICEF Somalia – (Hargeisa)
Date of Issue: 02 March 2011
Closing date of Application: 15 March 2011
If you are qualified Somali National looking for a chance to make a real difference in the lives of vulnerable Somali children while gaining opportunities for career growth, you are invited to apply for the above post of Communication Officer, with UNICEF Somalia to provide communication support to North West Zone and South Central Zone. The successful candidate will be based in Hargeisa.
If successful, you’ll be part of a dynamic and passionate team in Somalia and Nairobi that works together to improve the health, nutrition, water, sanitation, hygiene, and basic education of Somali girls and boys and protect them from violence, exploitation and abuse.
The successful candidate will be offered a Fixed Term Appointment for one year. Further extensions will be based on organizational needs, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.
Purpose of the Post
Under the general supervision of the Chief of Field Office and Chief of Communication, assists in the planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of an advocacy and communication strategy to promote respect for children’s and women’s rights, and supports UNICEF’s mission in the country
Major duties and responsibilities
- Contributes to the development of an advocacy and communication strategy by coordinating appropriate audience research and compiling and analysing relevant data.
- Assists in developing and maintaining close collaboration with mass media, as well as with groups and organizations whose support is essential to the achievement of advocacy and communication objectives.
- Assists in drafting and editing articles, press releases, human interest stories and other advocacy/information materials for both web-based and traditional media, as appropriate.
- Prepares background communication and promotional materials for briefings and visits of media, goodwill ambassadors, donors, national committee representatives and other special interest groups. Assists in the planning, logistic and administrative arrangements for them.
- Helps organize and generate public support for special events and activities to promote country programme goals.
- Monitors the public perception of UNICEF in the country and recommends appropriate action to maintain a positive image for the organization.
- Follows up on the production of advocacy and communication materials (e.g., films, video, audio-visual, etc.), and oversees the qualitative aspects of production, (e.g. quality control, translation, review of layouts and graphic design).
- Monitors and evaluates the appropriate and timely dissemination of advocacy and communication materials to target audiences, and participates in the evaluation of their impact. Provides feedback to Headquarters on the use and appropriateness of global publications and visual materials.
- Establishes/maintains an up-to-date documentation centre for publications, press releases and clippings, as well as photographic and audio-visual materials.
Qualifications, Experience and Attributes
- University degree in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations; or equivalent professional work experience in the communication area, combined with a university degree in a related field.
- Five years experience two of which should be relevant at professional level in communication, print and broadcast media or interactive digital media, at either the national or international level.
- Knowledge of the local working language of the duty station is required.
- Fluency in another UN language would be an asset.
- Knowledge of current theories and practices in communication research, and the role of mass media.
- Ability to research, analyse, evaluate and synthesize information.
- General ability to draft clearly and concisely ideas and concepts in written and oral form; specific skills in writing press releases and articles/stories for traditional and electronic media.
- Proven ability to effectively manage relationships with media representatives, government officials and other UNICEF partners.
- Proven ability to work as part of a team.
- Knowledge of computer systems, internet navigation and various office applications, specifically interactive digital media.
Interested and qualified candidates should send their applications with updated UN Personal History Form (P.11), updated CV, copies of academic certificates to one of the following addresses. UN staff are requested to provide at least two Performance Evaluation Reports (PERs). Please quote the vacancy number in your application.
Human Resources Manager
Vacancy Number 2010/036
P.O Box 44145-00100
Or email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted
QUALIFIED FEMALE CANDIDATES ARE ESPECIALLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
UNICEF IS A NON-SMOKING ENVIRONMENT
By Hassan Ali
Tags: communication officer, Hargeisa, Job, Somaliland news, UNICEF, Vancy