Tuition Fees Increase Faces Opposition From Hargeisa University Students
HARGEISA(Somalilandpress )-University to increase tuition fees has been met by fierce opposition by undergraduates at the university at the end of last Semester, the university administration informed undergraduates about the changes. The university administration has revealed that due to rising administrative costs the university has no other choice but to increase the tuition fees so as to meet the ever sky rocketing expenses.
The threshold at which graduates have to start paying the tuition fees is expected to rise dramatically.
THE CHANGES ARE AS FOLLOWS:
1) The faculty of ICT used to charge 180 $ it will now charge 210 $, 30 $ increase.
2) The faculty of Islamic studies before 157.2$ now 160 $, 2.5 $ increase.
3) The faculty of Engineering before 180 $ now 210 $, 30 increase.
4) The faculty of Medicine before 180 $ now 250 $, 70 $ increase.
5) The faculty of (ITC) before 190 $ now 210 $, 30 $
6) The faculty of Law before 180 $ now 200 $. 20$
7) The faculty of Economics, Business and Statics before 157.5 $ now 180 $, 22.5 $ increase.
This fee increase by the University will greatly affect student from poorer background.
Attempts to negotiate between the university administration and students failed when the administration refused to back down from the proposed rise in tuition fees.