June 27, 2012 ·71 Comments
Please read the following points which meant to prove that The UAE, or indeed any other Arab country for that matter, is the least suitable place to hold talks between the republic of Somaliland and the failed state of Somalia, because the only outcome acceptable to the people of Somaliland, and rightly so, is the kind of two-state-solution, already applied else where in Africa and led to the birth of Eritrea; and most recently to South Sudan Republic:
1. Arab political culture see political unity of parts or regions of a country as something GOOD, under all circumstances. In this Arab culture a division of any state is considered BAD and must not be even discussed, no matter what, let alone implemented.
2. The UAE system of government is the federal one. The country consists of seven Emirates which united peacefully since independence from Great Britain in 1971. Generations after generations, education produced officials who are made to rigidly believe that unity is good; while separation is endlessly evil.
3. Arab political leaders hardly know anything about the historical background of Somaliland. Silaanyo will have very hard time explaining to the would be Arab mediators that the case of Somaliland is very much similar to the union between Egypt and Syria, which lasted some years before it was dissolved.
4. Unlike the countries of the European Union, diplomacy is niet diep rooted in the Arab desert mentality and culture. As a matter of fact, the word itself does not exist in the Arabic vocabulary. As to the legal case of Somaliland, I can very much imagine that such an episode would be something an Arab mediator never heard of before, and has to learn on the spot during the very short period of the scheduled crucial talks. I can also imagine the reluctance with which this or that Arab mediator would listen to the legal bases of Somaliland case for re-recognition, because the legendary Arab approach tends shy away from dealing with minute details of any kind and resort to quick emotional fix to the problems of here and now, in the most superficial manner imaginable.
5. Arabs get their limited information about the political situation in Somalia from Al-jazeera TV channel.. For example Arabs of the Gulf see Somalia as whole, as a failed state. They hardly hear about the the peace, democracy, and the stability in our beloved country of Somaliland.
6. In the eighties of last century, when the nation of Isaaq was fighting to regain independence and liberate their soil from the Daarood occupation spear-headed by Siyad Barre, the UAE government supported the dictatorship of Siyad Barre and provided his occupation forces with all the fighting planes which bombarded the major cities in Somaliland. It is significant also to mention that the current president of the UAE Mohammad Bin Zayed Al-nahyaan was in 1988 the commander of the air forces of the UAE. He paid many visit to Siyad Barre in Muqdisho. That was around the time war was raging in Somaliland between the mujahidiin of SNM and the occupation forces of Siyad Barre. This very same man is the current president of the UAE.
It is obvious that Sheikh Sharif has set a trap for Silaanyo and his delegation by suggesting to hold their talks in the UAE. This is because Sheikh Sharif speaks fluent Arabic, while non of the delegation led by Silaanyo speaks a word of Arabic. Sheikh Sharif has also studied Arab culture and is very much aware of Arab political environment and as well as inclinations which label unity as good; and division of states as the ultimate evil. He paid many visits to the UAE and developed some kind of public relation. He is known quantity there and looked upon by UAE officials as funny negro whose country is in real trouble and can be awarded some cash from time to time. For these Arabs of the UAE, Silaanyo is totally unknown quantity, and the democracy he might claim to be part of back home in the stable and democratic Somaliland would mean little to an Arab mediator whose country never practiced such a system of government. No political freedoms in the UAE. The seven different emirates are ruled by seven different clans.
7. Sheikh Sharif is seen by countries such as UAE and Qatar as the right choice for Somalis as president of all Somalia, because he presented himself as the kind of moderate Islamist these two countries would endorse.
In view of all this, Sheikh Sharif speaks nowadays with a lot of confidence when he rejects the two-state-solution, because all sources close to Sheikh Sharif of Somalia confirm that some high level officials in the UAE already promised him that, as far as the the position of the UAE is concerned, the only acceptable outcome of talks between Somalia and Somaliland must be and will be the illusion of a federal system, which Silanyo might be forced to sign behind closed doors in the UAE.
It was a grave mistake on the part of Silaanyo to so easily prefer the UAE to UK as a place to hold his talks with Sheikh Sharif. By doing that he has fallen in to the trap set for him by the president of Somalia who is half of the age of Silanyo. Sheikh Sharif succeeded in avoiding holding such talks in the UK. I do not see Silaanyo as someone who would reject the illusion of federalism, especially if he offered millions that he can make use of. After all, ever since he came to power Silaanyo is the one who put to hold the great efforts made by the government of Riyaale for re-recognition of Somaliland. I am sure that our patriotic people of Somaliland will stand up and would defeat any outcome from these talks between Somaliland and Somalia, if our statehood is compromised in any shape or form.
One last thing we need to remember though is that despite all the tanks and war planes the UAE provided Siyad Barre with in the past, in order to defeat the nation of Sheikh Ishaaq Bin Ahmed, we are the nation who decisively defeated Siyad Barre and his Faqash forces despite all odds back in the eighties and emerged victorious at the end. Oh, nation of Isaaq let us close ranks more and more and raise to the occasion. And we will prevail once again. After all we are the sons and daughters of the followers (sahaaba) of the great prophet Muhammad Bin Adillaah Sallaalahu alayhi wa sallam.
Saleh AliFollow @somalilandpress
By goth Mohamed