July 17, 2012 ·8 Comments
Date: 17th – 18th July, 2012
Venue: Ambassador Hotel, Hargeisa, Somaliland
Somaliland Vice president Hon Abdirahman Abdilahi Ismail (saylic) ,officially opened a two days conference(The second Annual Somaliland Diaspora Conference) at Ambassador Hotel in Hargeisa.
The two day Somaliland Diaspora conference theme is “Diaspora Investment in Somaliland” is the second such conference to be held in the country following the formation of the diaspora coordination office.
Vice President Saylic addressing the participants of the conference said Somaliland diaspora has played a major role in the national building and economic development during the past 21years; he added the country depended on them when it comes to investment.
The Director of the Diaspora coordination Agency Mr. Mahmoud Abdurrahman Ali said the past 100 days have been very progressive for developing suitable relations between the government and the diaspora.
The theme of the symposium is ‘Diaspora Investment in Somaliland’ and will cover how best to ensure the improvement and strengthening of the Diasporas role in national building and development. This event will be delivered in collaboration with diaspora groups, Somaliland Government, the Council of Elders (Guurti), and private stakeholders.
SDA conducts annual Diaspora conference during summer which is considered to be important for ensuring broad consultations and information sharing on Diaspora issues and their role in local economy and national development in general.
The 1st Symposium organized by SDA was held on 27-28 July, 2011 at Ambassador Hotel. About 300 participants consisting of Diaspora groups from different host countries and including government officials and remitting companies participated (Report and declarations of the 1st Annual Diaspora Conference July, 2012)
The 2012 Diaspora Conference is as usually planned to take place in the summer 17th-18th July, 2012 at Ambassador Hotel when more appropriate for Diaspora groups.
SDA organized the conference in collaboration with DAI and Somaliland Beverages Industries (SBI.
The conference shall host about 300 Somaliland Diaspora groups from different host countries – Europe, North America, Arab States and Africa as well. Certain government institutions and key Ministers, the major business companies including remitting firms, local industries, LNGOs, INGOs, UN Agencies based in Hargeisa and other groups in the private sector will as well participate in the 2nd Annual Diaspora Conference.
Presentations will be made by Diaspora organizations and business firms during the conference.
Objectives and overall goals of the conference:
1. Encourage Diaspora role and contribution to national building and public service development.
2. Fully encourage Diaspora participation in local investment and economic development in the private sector.
3. Strengthen cooperation of Somaliland Diaspora communities and their relations with the government and homeland.
4. Assist the government in making concrete policy and strategies towards the Diaspora relations and their role in the development of their homeland.
5. Identify major challenges and obstacles that may affect and weaken the role of Diaspora in positively contributing towards Somaliland’s progress.
1. A great understanding of the opportunities available for Diaspora in Somaliland and how they can invest in them.
2. Gain advance knowledge of the Somali diaspora to enhance SDA’s work.
3. Facilities interaction between existing and potential investors to network and encourage collaboration.
4. Share good practices and lessons learned.
5. A report & summary of findings
Somaliland Diaspora Agency (SDA)
In Association with:
Transparency Solutions (TS)
Somaliland Beverages Industries (SBI) – Coca Cola
Development Alternatives Inc. DAI Partnership for Economic Growth
International Organization for Migration (IOM)
By goth Mohamed