Published On: Mon, May 3rd, 2010

Jewish community to mentor Ottawa Somalis

(SomalilandPress)Ottawa’s Jewish community is volunteering to help young Somali-Canadians develop contacts in the city and break into professional fields.

The Canadian Somali Congress and the Canadian International Peace Project are holding an information and registration session this Saturday at Carleton University for Somali-Canadian university and college students and young professionals who might like to have a mentor.

The Canadian Somali-Jewish Mentorship Project in Ottawa is modelled on a successful program established in Toronto by Ahmed Hussen, president of the Canadian Somali Congress.

Hussen came up with the idea after running into a young Somali-Canadian with a degree in accounting who was working at Tim Hortons. The young man couldn’t get the practical experience he needed to get chartered because he didn’t know any accountants.

“We sent an open letter to all Canadian communities in Canada, and we said, ‘We are the Somali community in Canada. We have a deficit of professionals. And we have a surplus of people who want to be mentored,’” he said. “And the first and fastest community to respond was the Jewish community.”

Upon reflection, it’s not surprising that the Jewish community stepped forward, Hussen said, as Jews went through similar growing pains in decades past.

“They know what it’s like not to be able to get access to certain professions.”

Mark Zarecki, head of Jewish Family Services of Ottawa, said he has no doubt mentors will sign up.

He said there is a “streak” in the Jewish community of tikkun olam — a Hebrew term that means “healing the world.”

“And I think this fits that concept of helping other communities.” Zarecki said.

Hussen said he hopes one day Somali-Canadian professionals in turn will be able to take their turn mentoring a new generation of immigrants from somewhere else.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/story/2010/05/03/ottawa-jewish-somali-mentorship.html?ref=rss#ixzz0mu4DOGCB
Source: CBC News

Displaying 17 Comments
Have Your Say
  1. Boqoljireh says:

They do everything for survival, since they have endured a lot because of their past mistakes [religionwise]. But they are better than many other nations who are closer to us geographically. They treat you humanly if they do not have a land dispute or conflict with you.

After all they are our distant cousins, and we may compromise one day in the future and live together in peace, until the day-of-judgement which is in the hands of the almighty Allah.

Even though I do not know whether those helped are Somalilanders or otherwise, I still praise them for their understanding of the plight of fellow human being.

2. Libax says:

Boqoljireh – it seems like you have a lot of sympathy for Israelis and much respect for them and what they endured.."they do everything for survival" what does that mean? when they attack and oppress our Palestinian brothers and sisters and children everyday.. which side are you on?

"The first and fastest to respond was the Jewish community"…..sounds familiar doesn't it?.. Somaliland wants international recognition and the first country to offer its Independence is Israel.

Don't get me wrong there are good Jews who oppose the Zionist Ideology which is at war with Islam.. but before you work with someone you have to know their intentions and when speaking about Jews you have to be very cautious in working with them. All over the world Jews are known to be well connected and in positions of power for example the government of United States, with their lobby groups and inside men.To my knowledge they are part of the most evil men living and breathing today.

A word to my Somali/brothers and sister no matter what part or what tribe of Somalia unless you are 150% sure this is strictly a community development mentor program and not working with Israeli Embassy in Ottawa (which is hard to figure) i suggest you take a different avenue for help. Just keep in mind the Israeli embassy in Ottawa has recently requested that Al-Jazzera be banned in Canada because of their "Anti-Semitic views" and they prefer you to watch corporate owned CNN, BBC for daily world news.

• Asad says:

"suggest you take a different avenue for help"

I am not sure what you mean for the above statement. Please let young Somali professionals benefit from their flow Canadian jews community.

I am from Ottawa, Canada currently working in the Gulf and I see how Somalis in Arab countries are treated. I encourage all Somalis to work with the jews than Arabs. Arabs are the ones who are sending extremist and money to Somalia in order the chaos to continue…

3. Boqoljireh says:

I cannot make you understand between the lines, even though you seem to be someone who may understand better than me. To discuss this with you I need to know if you are a Somalilander? if not just forget you have commented about my note above.

4. Libax says:

To dicuss this with me i have to be a Somalilander? brother your way of thinking is what plauges Somalia/Land to this day. The way which, inshallah that the future of Somalia can forget about one day and turn the page from. Yes my familty is from North Somalia (Hargesia) but i dont consider myself a lander. I AM SOMALI thats all i am and will ever be i wont promote or play into the division and barriers that have ruined Somalia. You have made your point clear where u stand on this subject and whether im from Somaliland or Somalia were all still Somali ..so shame on you for bringing politics into a discussion with a fellow Somali.

5. Warya says:

Libax you are a real Somali and brother it really makes happy to read your comments. Boqoljire has clearly indicated that he won't talk to any other person that is not his tribe or believes in his small tribal idealogy called Somali_layn

6. Warya says:

7. Warya says:

8. Boqoljireh says:

Libax & Warya, I am sorry you dont deserve me to discuss with you further.

Somaliland is here to stay forever and you can go to hell.

• Asad says:

Boqoljireh,

I am a Somali and from Hargaisa. I don't have any problem if Somaliland becomes independence if that is what people of north somalia want. I would like to tell you that Somalis/Somalilanders have lot of enemy who will use any tool to divide and rule Somali people where ever they are.

Lot of Somalis wished Siyad Bare to disappear from Somalia and see what they get from their wish.

• Asad says:

Boqoljireh,

9. Kayse says:

I believe this meetings took between the Jewish community of Ottawa and the Somaliland community. I know they have some sort of ties.

I have nothing against Jews and those Jews abusing the Palestinians aint really Jewish in my eyes in the eyes of millions of Jews – those were people brought from Soviet Union and other parts of Europe to be used as a military post in the Middle East by Europeans and Americans.

10. jja says:

the Jewish community helping the Islams. hmmmm, i wonder why?

• Asad says:

They are not helping Islam, they are helping Somalis who need professional mentor-ship.

Are arabs doing that or they are funding Al-Shabab

11. Boqoljireh says:

Mr. Asad how come you are indifferent about the of Somaliland cause, if you are from Hargeisa as you said? Have you born after ninties? or you are one of those our sisters give birth for those Wanlaweyn who were in our country before 1988?

I cannot imagine someone of Somaliland descend will speak like this.

12. Wiil Hoog says:

SOmaliland will never get recognition if there is not substantial evidence which would allow them to recieve it, quit complaining.